Forum home The potting shed

Hampton Court Flower Show

herbaceousherbaceous OxfordshirePosts: 2,313

I am more inclined to fruit and veg so maybe I have expected too much from a flower show, but I don't think so. Anyone else think it has gone off the boil a bit?

I have been going, on and off, ever since it started and always had a really good day out - usually spent too much but learned a lot as well.

Last year I was a bit disappointed, I thought it might have been because we went on the hottest day of the century and I do not do well in even moderate heat. Went again this year, had a lovely day, but there were no crowds to complain about, no fruit and veg exhibits that I could find (although I now know what quinoa looks like) and I felt that something was missing.

How did you find it?

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,296

We went on Tuesday and really enjoyed it - but then I always doimage

We found it wasn't as crowded as usual, which is a bonus, and thought the floral marquee was excellent.  Only complaint we had was the smell in the rose marquue was quite overpowering (and it wasn't of rosesimage) - so we didn't spend long in thereimage

• herbaceousherbaceous OxfordshirePosts: 2,313

So pleased you had a good day chicky, agree about the floral marquee it was amazing (daughter looking for plants for shade was overwhelmed), sad you were driven out of the rose marquee. Did you think where were as many exhibitors in there this year?

I guess it must be me, just didn't get the usual buzz image  maybe I'm becoming a grumpy old woman!

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,663
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Thank you Hazel, I love your arithmetic and your optimism  image

As you say there is always next year, just very disappointed at lack of fruit and veg and some of my favourites like Heritage seeds.

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

I visited the show for the first time this year and I liked it much more than Chelsea. It felt more relaxed and less crowded. I thought the big marquee was fabulous. (Got two huge lavender plants, too!) Only the rose marquee seemed somewhat underwhelming - more people than flowers.

• KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,536

I've never been to Hampton Court, Malvern is our local show.  It went through what we thought was quite a bad slump in quality for 2 or 3 years but has recovered again over the last couple of years.  The people running the show must have had concerns too, because layout this year had changed quite drastically, for the better I would add.

I think an annual event is likely to get stale after a while unless it is constantly reinventing itself.  Maybe HC is at that point.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Don't you think that with any big staged event the first time you go you are completely overwhelmed at all the fabulousness but after a few visits you get used to that but still expect the wow.

Leave it a couple of years and then go back. It will have changed enough to be different and you'll be overwhelmed all over again. 

We don't have any flower shows here but I'm drawing on my experience of another type of exhibition that I attend.

I can only agree with all of you, very accurate and perceptive comments. I usually go to smaller local shows and Hampton (also local) has always been a 'treat' and a chance for a good day out. My brother got me Chelsea tickets one year for a change and it was brilliant but sooooo crowded, took so long to see anything and I had to keep reminding myself of all the hoops these exhibitors jump through to present such an amazing show. Glad I went, wouldn't go again.

I don't go to Hampton every year and have always found reasons to go back, at one point my daughter was working there making the costumes for the enactors, made it a bit more personal. This year the highlight was being able to walk through the gardens and see them from all angles.

Maybe it has evolved and I got left behind, just felt there were bits missing this year but I still had a Grand Day Out. Perhaps you have the answer KT53, maybe I'll wait and see.