Forum home The potting shed

Summerhouses

gthud15 says:

Has anyone had any prior experience bewdleysheds and summer houses ?? Bought a 14x12 summerhouse at over £2k and experience leaking roofs and poor finishing and it's only a month old . There customer service or lack of seems to let the company down so much ..(key to business now days) .. Blaming weather and products and not there poor workmanship involved. Wanted them to come a fix there errors and they have no interest I suggest you think twice before buying from this company .

See original post

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,310

gthud, look to see if they have a page on facebook . I know FB isn't everyone's cup of tea, but bad publicity there certainly makes companies sit up and take notice.

Devon.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

My thoughts exactly HF. And the fact that you're on here "extolling" their shortcomings is a good start. 

I really don't see how leaky roofs can be blamed on the weather! I'm pretty sure most people know it rains here.

You could casually mention that you have asked for advice on social media next time you're speaking to them.....image

Good luck and keep us up to date on developments.

• karen paulkaren paul Posts: 230

I would check what kind of nails they have used if it is a felted roof and its leaking because my dad bought a large expensive shed which the company (I dont know who) erected and instead of using large head felt nails they used ordinary general nails! I'm just saying incase tho this is what happened and you could point out their error and so surely they would be liable if the roof rotted underneath. And furniture come to that because that is what people normally put in a summerhouse. Maybe they might come out to check it if you threaten a claim for damage due to bad workmanship. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

A roof by its very nature should act as a shelter. Thus it shouldn't leak. Go to citizens advice and see what they can do regarding you claiming against the company.

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,173

It doesn't have to be like that!  Any company can make a mistake (and lots do) but it is how they deal with it that gives the final judgement.

We had a summerhouse installed this year.  We ordered it from B & Q but the collateral contract was with the ultimate supplier:  Shires.

The first summerhouse was shoddy beyond belief.  They (Shires) promised to replace it.  When the second team of installers arrived, they removed the faulty summerhouse, and then said that they couldn't contemplate installing the replacement because it was even worse, having had poorly constructed panels etc sent by the factory.

Third time lucky!  A third team of workmen arrived.  Every panel was checked as it was removed from the lorry.  It was constructed with care, and we inspected it closely to confirm that we were happy.  The Customer Services Manager was in constant touch with us.  She was apologetic but promised to get it right, and she did.  We are delighted with the result.

Moral of the story is to keep on to the company, insist on proper replacement, and confirm all telephone coversations in writing (or Email).  Persistence will pay off, I'm sure. 

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

We stopped buying this sort of thing from places like [email protected] because they are generally very shoddy.

We bought our latest summer house off ebay from up north for £1000 and it's very solid with a nice heavy load bearing floor.They came down and assembled it for £100.

This one is 12 x 10 feet, we've insulated and lined it so we can use it in winter and replaced the rather thin roofing felt with thicker stuff.

And inside painted blue with gold stars

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Thanks, I totally agree about ebay, we've had some brilliant bargains on there over the years.

The summerhouse regularly has up to 7 or 8 people in there practicing folk dancing and the floor has held up really well, we've had it a few years now.

Love your tea house. What skill you have.

• gthud15gthud15 Posts: 2

I sent a couple of emails to the supposed owner of the company but yet to receive any reply ,, now we are experiencing leaking windows so just confirms the workmanship is not up to the required standards ,I've mentioned I will seek further solicitors advise and speak to trading standards if nothing is resolved . I agree mistakes can be made but it's how a company reacts and treats its customers after purchase which separates the good companies from the bad .. Let's hope they take some notice .