Forum home The potting shed

Someone stealing my details from the forum

I clicked on to my messages and a box came up warning me that someone is trying to steal my details of phone number ,address,credit card numbers.

Has anyone else had this , also what do I do ???

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,524

Hi granma. Was the box actually part of the forum or do you think it is something on your device (laptop, tablet or pc)? Don't respond to it at all and just think to yourself is there any way that anyone could access any of those details. Have you, for example, put those details anywhere on your device?

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

I do suspect it has nothing to do with the Forum and it was just coincidence it popped up when you clicked on your Messages. I would run whatever virus protector you have on your device to make sure you haven't picked one up from somewhere.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,929

How do I get  to contact the mods?

I'm a closet techie geekess 1Runnybeak1. image A lot of these things are deliberately meant to scare people into inadvertently revealing their details, or to allow a download of a malicious virus.

granma, have you run your virus checker yet? If this had been connected to the Forum then there would have been lots of people posting the same thing as you and as yet I haven't seen any other posts which is why I think it has nothing to do with the Forum and more to do with whichever device you are using to access the internet.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,929

It said that someone on the forum was trying to steal information or they used the word details can't remember which .but they said trying to steal phone numbers , addresses, and credit card numbers .how do I contact the mods ( sorry ) as someone's suggested .. I'm on my kindle .

Last edited: 08 July 2016 20:28:42

OK granma. Now have you ever put your full name and address and any other personal details on the GW Forum?

I believe that a lady called Nora is one of the people for you to contact in cases like this so if you click on the words New thread a box will open and you will get a choice of topics, one of which is Site Feedback or something similar. If you type 'Scam message' into the subject line and then explain in the message box what has happened to you and post it then I think the people who manage the Forum look at this. Fingers crossed.

Last edited: 08 July 2016 20:39:19

If anybody knows if I am correct in assuming this is how you contact the Forum moderators please confirm with granma. Thank you.

granma, have you got an antivirus checker on your Kindle? If so you should really run it as soon as possible.