Forum home Plants

Red clover???

AlidonneAlidonne Posts: 41

I think I have red clover growing in one of my pots alongside some sweet peas. They are quite tall and have pinky coloured clover looking flowers on them. Can anyone confirm this. If it is then do I treat it like a weed and dug it all up or can I leave it as they do look pretty. I just don't want them to kill off the sweet pea and crocosomia I have also planted

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,568

I'd rather have red clover than either of the plants you mention. Weed, apart from things like ground elder and bindweed, is a matter of opinion. 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,493

Alidonne, just leave the clover. It won't harm your other plants and as nutcutlet implies, there are far worse flowers.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,270

I have red clover next to the pond with gorgeous blooms that the bees love. It self seeded and I love it too image 

Nut - very true. It's us who give plants their names and put the word 'weed' on the end and our opinions of that plant are immediately influenced.

• AlidonneAlidonne Posts: 41

I'm not getting rid of it especially now I know the bees love it. I just didn't know if it would kill off the other plants that I intentionally plantedimageimage

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,270

image It's a pretty plant isn't it Alidonne

• AlidonneAlidonne Posts: 41

It is. I want sure what it was at first as I'd only put sweet pea seeds and forget me not seeds in the tub. i then added some crocosomia bulbs someone gave me so i can only guess there was some red clover seeds in with them. The forget me nots haven't materialised but the sweet pea is just starting to bloom as are the crocosomias. The clover fills the pot out nicely 

• seacrowsseacrows Posts: 211

Isn't clover one of the plants used as a green manure? I think it's one of the nitrogen fixers, so it may even be improving the soil in your tub!

• Missy KrissyMissy Krissy Posts: 249

I love red clover! Bees love it and it is a nitrogen fixer but not only that medicinally it has anti inflammatory properties, I make a healing balm that I can use for stings, bites and rashes and that is one of the plants that goes into it!  image