Forum home The potting shed

New member - my garden

Sonny4 says:
Hi all,

I've been reading the forums for a while now, and I have finally decided to join, and thought you might like to see pictures of my garden. I have only been gardening since last spring, so I will be needing lots of help from you all! The patio and hard landscaping was there when we moved in, but the garden had been left to weeds. I've included some pictures of the garden in March 2015, hopefully you can tell the difference! These pictures were taken on the 30th of July, when we had gppd weather, but the flowers weren't really out yet.

Enjoy, and any plant tips for a north facing garden? I've also lots of conifers, which makes shady dry soil :-(.

See original post

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

This was the garden in March

In 2015, before I started

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,707

By the look of those March 2015 photos, you have certainly made excellent progress in such a short time. Well-done Nora! How big is your garden?

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • NoraWNoraW Posts: 393

Hello Papi Jo - I wish! Afraid this isn't my garden, it's Sonny4's. We're experiencing a bug with the forum meaning some new users' threads are being blocked from view, so I'm just reposting them to make sure they're seen. 

But, I agree, stunning garden Sonny4! And welcome to the forum image Sorry it's poorly at the moment image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,518

What a fabulous job you have done so far - all credit to you. I have a north facing front garden impeded upon by my neighbours two conifers but I grow spotted laurel, philadelphus, forsythia, climbing hydrangea against the wall with Clematis Nelly Moser climbing through it. black bamboo and heaps more (was going to go on but realised you will have probably gone to sleep by now! image) too numerous to list! You will lots of knowledgable people on here if ever you get stuck. Welcome to the Forum Sonny4

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,663
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NanniemoNanniemo Posts: 222

Welcome to the forum Sonny4. Looks like you've worked very hard and your garden looks wonderful, if you're a newby at gardening, you're obviously a natural.

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,780

Great garden. You have some smashing plants in the ground in in pots. I love the Japanese nods with the Koi pond and Acers - maybe try some ferns, hostas and Japanese anemones as will do well in shade plus continue the Japanese idea.

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Sonny4Sonny4 Posts: 20

Thank you all so much! There is still lots of work to be done, as you'll soon see when I ask for your help.  The worst thing for me is pruning, although I love roses, I'm terrified of it! Hopefully with your help, I might be able to understand it image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148

Great work Sonny. Love your steps. Satisfying to see the changes isn't it?  image

If you're looking for suitable plants for north facing areas, just start a thread and put plenty of info re what you like and what you're looking for and you'll get loads of advice and suggestions. Photos are always useful for that too. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Looking good Sonny. It can be difficult/awkward sorting out the different levels when you're on a slope but you have your bone structure in and so now you can concentrate on the pretties! You've done a great job so far. image

• Welcome! 

You'be done a great job, I look forward to seeing how it develops further!