The pussycat and the stagbeetle

image Neighbours cat in our garden wanted to play with my cat, but decided the stag beetle was more interesting. It looks like the stage beetle is saying "You looking at me"imageWanted to give him a kiss.

imageHe thinks if I play dead he will leave me alone. imageYes success. I then managed to put the stage beetle in a safer place in the garden. Naturally I would not let the cat harm it.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,333

How lucky to have stag beetles.   And a gorgeous cat!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 11,327

We had a cat that would deliberately flip them over, observe them kicking their legs in the air for a bit and walk away. I would have to flip them back with stick because I didn't fancy touching one.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hehe thats so sweet. Love the pics. 

• ecokidecokid Posts: 138

Wow, where roughly are you from? I've never seen a stag beetle in the wild, which is a pity as they're amazing. image

• B3B3 Posts: 11,327

You get them in south east London for some reason.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Jacqueline29Jacqueline29 Posts: 340

Yes B3 you are right, we had them in the garden last year as well.

• Jacqueline29Jacqueline29 Posts: 340

imageimageimage

I was really lucky to capture a picture of a stag beetle last year, it was crawling across our garden statue.

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 2,858

Lovely pictures Jaqueline! We get them in Ipswich too, so large that I hear them before I see them, or should I say the cat does! image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,858

Great pix Jacqueline! How wonderful to have them in your garden. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Michael199Michael199 Posts: 175

I grew up in Bexleyheath. That's S.E London...well Greater London bordering Kent and we used to get lots of them there. Fantastic insect. I believe it's only the male beetle that has the horns.