Forum home Plants

Pruning confuzzlement

Hi all, I've realised I have forgotten to prune a few of the early flowering shrubs... is it too late to prune a physocarpus dart's gold (See pic)? It needs a bit if rejuvenation as there is some dead wood in it this year. Also the rather leggy and neglected rhododendron (small one, pale pink flowers, no idea of type, see pic) is on borrowed time so I'd quite like to hard prune it if possible to see if I can encourage lower down growth. Is it too late for that? Is it even possible? 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,069

For the physocarpus, I would take out all the dead wood now and cut back all the stems to a height or width that suits your needs and then take a third out back to a lower set of leaves.   This way you can rejuvenate your shrub.

I don't grow rhodos as I have alkaline soil but a good gardening friend does and he takes the view that they will come back well if cut back hard, given a good drink of rain or soft water and then given a good mulching of ericaceous compost.  Do it soon though so new growth has time to harden before the frosts.   

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,676

Reminds me I need to cut our Physocarpus Diablo. One of my favourite plants. We also have a dwarf variety, Physocarpus Little Devil. 

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Pronuned my physocarpus this afternoon.

Like the dwarf variety Keenon Green.

SW Scotland
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

You've done what Joyce???? I'd get down to the doctor if I was you!!!!! image

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

pp -  I have filled two garden bins with prunings today image. Bins get emptied tomorrow and I took advantage of the glorious weather today.

SW Scotland

Well done Joyce.

PP - this thread is called pruning confuzzlement - obviously catching!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

First time I read it as pronouned! Didn't sound quite so painful!

Depends how personal it was!

• RobmarstonRobmarston south walesPosts: 331

I pruned my physocarpus in early spring this year and it's now back to the size it was last year. So I reckon you'll be fine to prune it now.