Forum home The potting shed

gardening in miniature

imageOn feeling unwell and in pain today and yesterday I was feeling thoroughly fed up at not being able to get on with my garden renovations by this afternoon; but while I was sat outside with the intention of at least getting some fresh air I       rremembered a gr gentle and relaxing form of gardening I could be getting on with-my bonsais hi which had been relegated to a forgotten corner for a while. So with a few little rummages amongst my plants to gather materials I was soon back in my chair to make bonsai landscapes :) I have a few azaleas in bonsai training and have sown Persian silk tree, jacaranda and kalmia etc for the same purpose. I am going to make a series of landscapes to go along a wall in a narrow space to make it bright and interesting. I may even add a small 'lake' with goldfish. Anyway it was just the tonic I needed to stop me feeling sorry for myself! Does anybody else have a miniature garden?

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,081

What a wonderful idea for a neglected corner   -  of which I have many!

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • karen paulkaren paul Posts: 230

It was very therapeutic; I became totally absorbed in my 'tiny world' and have a renewed enthusiasm for my bonsai. If I hadn't been unwell I would have been trying to rw remove some lumpy concrete from the dog run with just a hammer and chisel :/ Every cloud has a silver lining w eh? :)

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448

Have just come back from our monthly bonsai meeting so lovely to see what you have done!

I would like to try something similar using small succulents.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

I have used some succulents amongst other things such as sea thrift and a small fern. I don't know what the succulents are called, I've had them a while with the intention of using them to do a 'green roof' on the shed. Its great that you have a bonsai meeting to go to madpenguin, I dont think there's anything like that near where I live.

Thankyou runnybeak, I'm looking forward to doing some more. I'm hoping I'm better tomorrow so I can carry on with the dogs e run though, previous people have dumped a random lump of bobbly concrete and its hard to clean up after the dog so I need to remove and flag it. Not a job I want to do but it wont remove itself unfortunately :/ So in comparison todays project was heavenly :) even though I was ill.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,518

Beautiful garden karen paul. Hope you do feel better today.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

I love bonsai, and enjoy looking at yours.

However, I don't have the patience and fear it would end up on the compost after I wrecked it!