Forum home Plants

Clematis doing well this year!

2»

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Lovely Clem's madpenguin. image

Seeing the way you have them growing through other shrubs has got me thinking I may try it too, it's a great way to make the most of my small space.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Hazel it's almost impossible to kill them. Don't panic yet. 

Growing them up through sturdy shrubs is a lovely idea Madpenguin. I have a montana grandiflora earmarked for my unsightly fence and I'm hoping some will swing by the droopy conifer nearby and maybe out through the juniper at the bottom just to break up the wall of green.

Kitty, Fairygirl posted a pic recently of "how to garden up the way" you want to see that for ideas.  I'll see if I can find it for you.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,235

Lovely clems MP and very well behaved growing through shrubs.  I have mine growing mostly up trellis and obelisks and recent unseasonal gales mean they have been blasted off their supports into untidy leeward heaps and tangles.  The ones growing through trees and shrubs have fared better.

What is encouraging is that Peverill Peach has re-appeared after going underground last year and another big blue clem has come back after a 3 year disappearing act.  Probably Mrs Cholmondley but who knows?  Label long gone.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,663
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,031

Great news Hazel, so pleased for you, crack open something bubbly. image

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Great news Hazel. I think I might have a dead one of those so I'll leave it and see what happens. I certainly have a dead something. Might be rouge cardinal. image They all blew away when they were little and the labels fell out.

That looks really healthy. Put two pellets in for you know what. image