Forum home Wildlife gardening

Plants for a small pond

I'm looking for suggestions on what plants I should get for a very small wild life pond. It's only 90 litres, but I'm looking for plants that will encourage wild life ( including marginal plants). I also will need some plants that soften the edge as it's a rectangular tub design.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,475

Maybe frogbit in the pond and cotton grass and japanese irises on the edges. If it is easily accessible (the pond I mean) then you could risk duckweed which you can scoop out when it gets too prolific. There is a tiny water lily - Pygmaea which might do.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • ecokidecokid Posts: 138

Thanks for the suggestions Ladybird. I do love the Pygmaea lilies. I've been looking at Water Crowfoot , Marsh Marigold and Waterviolet. It will be very accessible, but I'd prefer not to willingly introduce duckweed. I'm sure it'll show up soon enough. image

Last edited: 05 July 2016 15:23:12

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,475

Yes indeed it is very sneaky. One tiny piece brought in on a water plant and its there forever. Trollius is another you could put at the side of the pond.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,959

Marsh marigolds can get quite hefty if the conditions are right, but they're very happy  at the pondside, so you could put some there. They don't need to be directly in the water. If you're worried you can keep it in a pot and plant the pot. I have a white one which is less invasive.

I use verticals for my teeny tiny pond. That gives you variety without feeling the pond's going to get taken over. Equisetum is very useful and is evergreen too.

If you can make the area round the pond, or a reasonable area next to it, into a little bog garden, you can create loads of habitat for wildlife, while keeping the pond surface more visible. Creatures need cover next to water anyway. Ferns, rushes, primulas and irises will all do well there and will be in proportion to the pond itself.  You can have larger planting blending into it. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,272

Fairy moss makes duckweed seem desirable. Lesser Spearwort is a good marginal as well as water forget-me-not image

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

Brooklime is lovely and comes up out of the pond. I have some which seeded itself/rooted itself out of the pond as well.   Around my bathtub pond sides I have mexican fleabane and veronica georgia blue, both of which hang over the sides.  But lawn grass allowed to grow long will do the same.   I have a purple loosestrife in a 12 cm terracotta pot in the tub and it gets to about 3 feet high in late summer.   Watercress (from supermarket bag) can grow and grow but it is relatively evergreen and can be easily cut back.    It  may take a few years to soften the edges and winter may not look as pretty.  Small branches/sticks draped over the sides can help shade/hide the edges and provide hiding spots and perches for birds.

Great ideas and tips everyone! I think I have a rough idea of what I'm trying to achieve. I've fallen in love with the small reed mace - it's incredibly adorable and apparently good for mini ponds. Will keep you updated how it develops! image

So finished digging and placing the pond today. I made sure that it was level and have started to arrange stones and pebbles. I was wondering if it's safe to use red bricks as ledges for plants? They lend themselves perfectly for that. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,959

Are you using a liner ecokid? Apologies if you've said and I've missed it. I've used all sorts of stuff for ledges and then the liner simply goes over them. You just have to make sure there are no sharp edges which might pierce the liner  image

I've just looked and see that you're using a tub. You could wrap the bricks in liner or plastic as they will probably break down over time. image

Last edited: 07 July 2016 17:45:05

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Gillian53Gillian53 Posts: 112

Frogbit is taking over in my small pond this year as is the hornwort and Beccabunga. I could post you some Frogbit if you like and see how it travels? I hate putting pond stuff in compost bin.