Forum home The potting shed

gardens in west scotland/ cornwall /devon

well i'm all married now and my new wife and I have decided to split the honeymoon. One week in Cornwall/Devon and one in western Scotland.

Obviously we are doing the lost gardens of Heligan and the Eden project in Cornwall, but can any one else recommend gardens for September in Cornwall/Devon or western Scotland?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,472

Assuming you will be passing through Devon, a diversion to Rosemoor is interesting. I would not miss Trebah, on the banks of the Fal. last October, we practically had Trebah to ourselves.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

North or South West Scotland?  I can then recommend gardens.

SW Scotland
  • Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

I second RHS Rosemoor. There's an option to get reduced prices for Eden and Heligan if you visit both the same day (you have to book the tickets online beforehand), but I wouldn't recommend that - I don't think it's possible to go and see both sites in the same day. Eden especially is huge and there's so much to see that you might be exhausted by the end (I certainly was).

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

I forgot - the gardens on St Michael's Mount are small but spectacular.

• TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,589

Depending on which way / how you are travelling I strongly recommend Margery Fish's gardn at East Cranbroke Manor in Somerset - small(ish) but perfectly formed. Ideal for an hour's stop over.

Congratulations BTW imageimageimage

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,313

Inverewe is said to be amazing but I have never been there. Perhaps someone can expand.

http://www.nts.org.uk/Property/Inverewe-Garden-and-Estate/

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,556

It's years since I visited Inverewe but it is an amazing garden, warmed by the Gulf Stream plants grow there when they won't grow anywhere else in Scotland or much of England.

• lilysillylilysilly Posts: 511

Rosemoor is lovely and the late summer borders are wonderful. The Garden House at Buckland Monachorum, Yelverton, near Plymouth is gorgeous I really recommend a visit there. As already mentioned by fidgetbones Trebah gardens near Falmouth are stunningly beautiful. I'd recommend walking boots and pack a picnic for a romantic lunch on its own beach, the sea views are amazing, we spent a couple of hours just sitting on the sand gazing out to sea. The Lost Garden of Heligan is lovely too. Congratulations by the way.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148

Congratulations treehugger - I wish you both well for your future together  image

I'm in west Scotland, but I'm not really a garden visitor. On my travels I  often go through Perth and there's a well admired garden there called Branklyn. It's more central rather than west, but not far out the way. There's also a very unusual garden farther south, created by Charles Jenks. I can't remember exactly where it is but it's in Dumfries. I think it's only on the odd day though.

Inverewe is supposed to be excellent, as Redwing says. 

Hope the weather improves a bit for you though. Bring plenty of warm and waterproof clothing  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....