Forum home Wildlife gardening

Log pile

Being a good wildlife gardener I've set aside a small area as a log pile; and being a good conservationist, rather than bin any woody offcuts, I put them onto this pile each year.

It's getting a bit big now though, so I wondered if I could kill two birds as it were by using some of the lower (presumably rotted down) wood etc as compost in the garden?  Has anyone done this, and how likely is it to damage the ecosystem in the pile, assuming I leave as many insects etc behind as I can as I "clear" it?

Thanks!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Lots of what's in there will be invisible to the naked eye but still part of the ecosystem. Clearing isn't part of this, you could rescue insects but you've removed their home and probably their eggs.

If it's too big, don't put any more on, or if you have room, start another one

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

The lower, damper and more decomposed parts of the log pile are likely to support most of the wildlife, compared to the drier, more intact pieces on top. So ideally you'd want to leave the base undisturbed.

Maybe you're adding too much small diameter branchy stuff rather than larger logs which is bulking it up too much. Do you have any space for piling cut material elsewhere (e.g. under shrubs/hedges) where it won't be in the way?

• Rob LockwoodRob Lockwood Posts: 294

Okelydokely - yep, I thought it'd be a no-no - thanks for the comments - I'll find somewhere better to dump my clippings!