Plant / weed ID

I have a weed growing in the wild area of my garden. The whole point of this area is tolerance for weeds to some extent but I'm just a bit worried about the speed at which this has grown. Any idea what it is and whether I need to remove it or not?image

Last edited: 02 July 2016 14:32:47

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,414

Himalayan balsam http://www.plantlife.org.uk/wild_plants/plant_species/indian_himalayan_balsam 

Having lived next door to it, and suffered from it's invasive nature, if I were you I'd get rid of it while you have the upper hand. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 435

Thanks! It grew so rapidly it aroused my suspicions. I've just finally got rif of my Japanese knotweed so don't need another menace in my garden.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,414

Just pull it up - it roots are only shallow - at least the seedlings are pretty easily identifiable.  For heaven's sake don't let it seed image

I wonder where it came from - any misguided neighbours (like the one we had) growing it?  The seeds catapault themselves far and wide.  

Good luck!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh