Forum home The potting shed

collared doves

LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

My OH pointed out to me that he hasn't seen any collared doves,he said that the pigeons have pushed them out.Has anybody noticed it?image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,079

We've got a pair of collared doves in our garden - we have wood pigeons as well image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,845

we've got a pair that scavenge under the sunflower seed feeder.

There's a park local to us with an information board about Collard Doves. Must be the vegetable version image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,079

LOL Nut image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MarygoldMarygold Posts: 331

I haven't seen many lately. We used to have loads a few years ago. I counted about a dozen on the roof of a house opposite ours once. We have loads of wood pigeons. They are a bit of a nuisance on the community farm across the road (where I volunteer) as they roost in the barn and the floor is covered in their droppings. This, apparently, can be harmful if you breathe it in. We've also started getting some pigeons which I think are cross with the town pigeons. They are very hard to shoo away!

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Must be where we live thenimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,902

I had a pair visiting occasionally last year or the year before. They're in shorter supply than when I lived round the corner though. image

Wood pigeons....big clumsy oafs, but the water scarecrow makes them shift a bit smartish when they set it off!  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I saw one today, but it was the first for a long time. They used to be frequent visitors to my garden.

• MarygoldMarygold Posts: 331

Fairygirl, that water scarecrow sound interesting. Does it work for magpies, jackdaws and cats?image What about the 'nice' birds?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,902

I got it for the r***y cats Marygold. Works a treat!   image

Basically, anything sturdy enough can set it off if they activate the movement sensor. A squirrel did set it off one day. The little birds are so small that they don't seem to activate it, although a robin did when I had it next to the feeder. He just flew up  on the shed roof and then came back  though image 

I've moved it a couple of times to cover different access points and it seems to be doing the job brilliantly. Best twenty quid I've ever spent image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,893

We have both in our garden.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands