Forum home The potting shed

A wee laugh for the rained off!

I found this and it gave me a wee laugh on a rainy Thursday. Feel free to contribute "friends of your's" image

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4187896.stm

• That did make me chuckle, thankyou PP (not peepee) image

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Everyone can pronounce my name properly, just not great at spelling it.

Despite filling in the forms in block capitals with black ink, whoever was typing the info into the computer at the electoral register decided to change it to Catherine image

Then I got the third degree when I tried to point out their mistake image

image I had a friend at school who swore me to secrecy about the fact her mum made her dad change his surname before they got married. It was one that ended with 'bottom' image

A canny mum protecting her future offspring from playground bullying.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

I know an entire family of those and they kept their name and manned it out! Fair play I say but tough on the children. They are THE nicest people but Mrs S is mortified. 

I also remember being told a story about a family whose surname was Dickey and the children were getting a hard time at school so the parents changed their name. Too late. The nicknames and torture continued till the last one left school! image

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

I do feel sorry for number 7 on the list in the article, Peter *******, Northants.

Funny story image.    Wonder if he had any children, and did he change it? 

Actually that's how I found the article. An old schoolfriend of mine passed away and I was checking the obituaries for the funeral arrangements and that name appeared further down the page. I couldn't believe it so of course Nosy McNosewich went looking... image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,204

MY MUM WAS AT SCHOOL WITH A BOY WHOSE SURNAME WAS SMELLIE-HOGG.

I DON'T THINK THAT HIS FIRST NAME WAS IVOR THOUGH.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

Oh PF. That's a shocker! image 

WE HAVE ALL STARTED TO SHOUT A LOT MORE LOUDLY TODAY. WHAT HAPPENED?

Change of font, apparently, for the peaky blinders. How're you finding it? I am in the habit of doing bold so I'll keep it up I think.

TO BE HONEST, I HADN'T NOTICED.image

WHEN I TYPE IN THIS BOX lower case is very very small. IF I TYPE IN UPPER CASE IT IS BETTER BUT STILL VERY THIN. SO BOLD IS BETTER AS I AM TYPING IT HERE. BUT EVERYTHING CHANGES ONCE IT APPEARS ON THE THREAD.

I FEEL RATHER CONFUSED.image