Harebells

Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,164

Should harebells be this big? They are about 4 feet tall with 'bells' about 1.5"x1" image 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,546

They are not harebells. Some other sort of campanula,maybe pyramidalis

Last edited: 29 June 2016 19:45:53

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,164

Ah thank you for that fidget, I grew them from seed sent to me as harebells and did wonder.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,020

Were these from the seed swap Fishy? I have Campaula persicifolia which I obtained as harebells on the seed swap. Fidget sent me some real seed. I shall have plenty if you want some or bits of root

They were indeed nut, a small plastic sachet marked harebells image I do have another pack of harebell seeds from Suttons I can sow but I'm short of space. When these campanulas kept on growing I thought I had a case of gigantism but campanula persicifolia looks just the plant.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,131

The other possibility is Campanula latiloba alba.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,020

they should look like the blue patch in the middle. also Birds Foot Trefoil and Bladder Campion that I think you sent me Fishy.

I have converted the former nursery in font of the GH to a place full of insect favourites

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,199

Fishy - I bought a packet of Harebells this year as I love seeing them on the hills in summer. I've got a good lot all growing away. 

If you'd like some, I'd be happy to send them to you. There's more than I'll ever use! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,546

I don't have many flowers this year. the leaves are very grassy, so the undergardener mowed half the patch.image

On the other hand, a fox has just crossed the lawn and carried on up the garden.image

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

Bless you all, you're real troopers. Nut and FG - I'll accept your very kind offers of either plants or roots or both? I don't want to display any favouritism image

Goodness knows where I'll put them though, the garden is choc-a-block. I'm glad that mystery is solved, there I was anticipating a delicate little flower about a foot high image

Lovely patch of flowers nut, I do have bladder campion and birds-foot trefoil but the seeds came from you image

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

You're all bonkers with your seed swapping. Nobody knows who got what and I'd like to know who got my yellow foxgloves. I have something but it's definitely not foxgloves....yellow or otherwise. image