Forum home Problem solving

Parvinia hydranger pest

For the past 4 years my hydranger gets covered in what I thought was woolly aphids. Have tried everything to stop them ie most of the spray brands even diluted meth spirit.  Again they are back. Doesnt kill the hydranger but it must weaken it. I have three all affected and all about 5ft tall so dont want to have to dig them up. Any suggestions? 

A

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 30,212

May I just ask who told you it was called Parvinia? I cannot find anything even relating to plant pests with that name. Doesn't mean to say that it isn't right but it takes something really mighty to flummox both Google and the RHS. If your hydrangeas are still here after 4 years of this pest reappearing I would carry on as before.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,494

I found hydrangea scale on Google . It's called pulvinaria something

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

My Google search for parvinia threw up a Ltd company in Cyprus, a rare american surname and a fictional micro nation.

Flummoxing indeed Lady B. image

Best to put a photo on Chrissi and we can try to ID your problem. image

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Hang on B3 may be onto something there, scale insects image  

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 30,212

Great stuff B3! chrissi, B3 has found your pest - Pulvinaria hydrangeae - so you can look it up now and find the solution.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,494

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

Here you go:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=224

When buying any spray, make sure that it actually contains the chemical you need - formulations can change from year to year.

• chrissichrissi Posts: 6

Thanks everyone. When I checked on Google Pulvinaria is a scale type pest. Looks like marshmallow with a brown scale insect in it. It attacks Hydrangers, Prunus which I can confirm cos my flowering cherry has also been attacked, and Acers. My neighbour grows Acers and hers are suffering too. Asked a few neighbours and I think its catching cos its doing the rounds. I live in Thurrock in Essex if that would make a difference. One of my neighbours uses Bayer spray Bug Free which is organic and has had good results keeping the bugs at bay. Going out to purchase a crate load. Will keep you updated.