Forum home Problem solving

Help with identifying

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

1. Japanese anemone (I think)

2.Wee shrooms image

3. Looks like ground elder.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 30,935

You do not need to worry about the mushrooms you have there. These are just the fruiting bodies of the fungi which lives underground. You can knock the mushrooms off but they may still appear. Are the leafy stumps in your lawn prickly - I cannot quite make out? If they are, they are brambles. The other leaves look very much like Japanese anemones.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I can see the prickles in one of the photos, the things in the lawn, brambles.

I thought the closey uppy ones looked like brambles but couldn't see any prickles so I plumped for the other demon.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

4 and 5 I can see prickles. The way they're growing is bramble as well. Ground elder and Jap anemone are more inclined to come up in clumps and groups. The top one is Japanese Anemone though

My ground elder comes up in hoardes and droves. Maybe that's why I didn't recognise it. I'd rather have bramble any day.

I am swamped with brambles, bindweed and ground elder but can't keep Japanese anemone alive. Sattabout?

Last edited: 29 June 2016 16:56:41

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,618

Japanese anemone

Harmless little toadstools - they'll disappear when the weather dries up a bit.  

Brambles, or possibly raspberry suckers.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,618

Hi Marie35 - thank you for your message.  If, as you say, there are a lot of raspberries in your new garden, then I'm pretty sure that's what the leaves with  spikey stems appearing in your lawn are.

Get some weedkiller containing glyphosate and paint it onto the leaves avoiding the grass.  Leave them until they have gone brown and died off before removing.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh