Forum home Fruit & veg

Tumbling Tom tomato

I would have thought this question would be easy to google but no such luck.

I've got a sunny window sill with space for pots about 15 cm diameter - or alternatively the long side of a rectangular pot could be longer than this.

I'd like to put a single tumbling Tom tomato plant there (local flower shop sells them) but I can't find out how big a pot they will need. Does anyone know this?

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

15cm diameter would be too small so go for something rectangular so that the plant has a larger root run.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

I was thinking about the volume of the baskets and things used to grow them and thought maybe a rectangular window box might do it. Is depth an issue for tomatoes? I've no idea. image

• endpaperendpaper Posts: 27

Thanks both.

Ceres, that's really helpful - very good to know it would be happy to spread itself horizontally. How long would be ideal? 

Plant pauper, yes I was trying to google that exact question but can't find out for tumbling toms as tomatoes seem to be so various. I guess the fact people grow them in shallow hanging baskets would suggest TTs don't need so much depth but I can't find anything confirming this..

Out of interest, what happens to tomato plants with crowded roots - do they struggle to take up nutrients. I know some plants simply don't grow as much and I wouldn't mind a lower yield provided the plant was otherwise healthy.

As tomatoes will happily grow in growbags that are as thick as a paper tissue, I reckon depth isn't essential though they are happier if they can dig their roots down. Ring culture and things that ape it are great for boosting root growth so if you can get a deep pot, all the better, but a small trough should be fine. This advice is not legally binding.....my own bush tomatoes are not happy but the tall monsters in the greenhouse are growing just fine.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

We should have a smilie for caveat emptor. image Or "best guess"

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,939

i found somewhere online that was selling a sling system to put a growbag in sideways instead of flat on its base, so the roots could have a deep root run. if you can only get six inch on the base, maybe the long toms that are used for roses may be a better bet.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • endpaperendpaper Posts: 27

interesting, so the main thing is to give them some space to spread out one direction or another? ... Fidgetbones, I think autocorrect may have intervened - did you mean tubs where you say toms?

Plant pauper, how about ?-)

Tomatoes always end up with crowded roots. When I turn the pots out at the end of the season they are solid with roots but the plants grow quite happily and take up all the water and feed without any problems.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,939

No, I meant long toms... they are a type of pot. much deeper than they are wide.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/long-tom-plant-pot---23cm-141920

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3