blue geranium gone mad

could anyone help me identify a geranium please? dh in his wisdom decided to throw out all my plant labels. I was so pleased. it's a hardy blue geranium like rozanne, johnsons blue, brookside etc. but every year it goes mad and grows to 4ft tall, scrambling over everything and drowning everything out. any idea what the monster could be?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,157

Rozanne - I got fed up with mine taking over the world so cut it back hard and moved it to a spot that gets full sun all day and that seems to have calmed it down and its now a lot less lax and floppy and looks great.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Are you able to post a pic please Pickle? 

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

Could be geranium pratense.

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

My War grave pink has always gone mad and I need to cut it back but I have reservations because I can see plenty of buds 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,566
    obelixx says:

Rozanne - I got fed up with mine taking over the world so cut it back hard and moved it to a spot that gets full sun all day and that seems to have calmed it down and its now a lot less lax and floppy and looks great.

See original post

My Rozanne wandered over and through the other plants in the border - I did as you did Obelixx - I dug it up early this spring, as soon as it appeared, split it into three and potted it for a while to get it going, then planted them out in the new sunny bed - it's much happier now it has more sunshine and is flowering more and looks more like the illustrations - neat mounds of foliage and colour, not leggy and lanky any more image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,157

Glad it worked for you too Dove.  I prefer the flower on Johnson's Blue but it flowers for a shorter period and mine get their leaves chewed by some beetley thing so I'm really pleased that Rozanne has settled down and is flowering well despite the weeks of constant rain.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw