Calceolaria

Al15Al15 Posts: 2

I have grown Lady's slipper from seed for the first time, they all looked fantastic but they are at the point where many of the delicate flowers perhaps need cutting as they start to lose upright strength.  I have tried search engines but keep ending up in USA! Can anyone offer any advice as I have treated the plants as bedding plants so far and they appeared happy until the last week. Thanks for any advice on the next actions to take.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,044

Hi Al15. These plants always have that tendency as the flower stems are weak. All you can do is the deadhead regularly. You could also try plant supports if they are too floppy.

Oh a little tip which you may already know but just in case..... when searching for anything online always type uk after the query and you will get the UK sites showing first. You can also look for .co.uk and not .com

This does not always apply as some big UK sites are .com but its a good place to start from. I get very annoyed when I am directed to an American site hence my aforementioned tactics. image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Al15Al15 Posts: 2

Thank you Ladybird4, I am a novice gardener although just recently semi retired and so a new garden enthusiast, I would never have used that logic of putting UK in the search engine, so I accept that tip with what my grown up children would say  "surely you new that Dad!" image no I didn't but I do now.  Thanks again Al

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,044

You are very welcome Al and welcome also to the crazy, wonderful, absorbing world of gardening.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable