Forum home Problem solving

Is this rose a tangled mess?

Hi,

When I bought my new David Austin rose shrub I bought one for my partners Granny for her Burthday. I was reading on the internet that stems should not be crossing etc but I noticed on her rose the large stems at the bottom are all touching each other. The stem closest is touching the one on the left and right. Will this be ok or do I need to do anything? The thing is she won't know how to do it herself so I wanted to have it all ready for her.

Thanksimageimage

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 30,216

I am now relating this to the last picture you posted. Leave the shoot in front going (pointing) to the left but remove its side branch completely.

Behind that one remove the whole of that stem back to the main trunk of the rose and also the skinny little shoot (in the middle of the picture) and the fat stump right back to the main trunk.

This should then open up the middle of the rose. I hope I have explained this clearly for you but if you are in any doubt just send me a personal message.

This seems brutal but roses are tough and can take it.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • CraighBCraighB Posts: 628

Is this what you mean ladybird?image

Not the one where you have put a red line right at the bottom. The others, yes, and (I think its a stump) the one at the back of the thinnest shoot which has your top red line marked on it.

You mean like this?

Stump that you are talking about does have a shoot at the end of it pointing outwards so should I still get rid?

also if I do this then the rose will kinda be all one sided so will some more shoots appear at the base to fill the side I have pruned out?image

I don't know why they graft it with the main 2 thick shoots going to the side In the same direction rather than upwards. It's hardly going to make the goblet shape that people try to achieve?

Last edited: 28 June 2016 20:39:53

Those lines for pruning are correct now but I have to admit that that is not the usual David Austin standard and I would be tempted to send it back or at least write a strong letter of complaint about the poor shaping. Send them your pictures too. Patience and proper pruning over the years will eventually get it the way it should be.

The problem is I bought them on holiday in Lyme Regis so I can't just take it back :( Should I write to the nursery or David Austin?

I would write to the nursery and send a copy to David Austin just to say how disappointed you are at the standard of the rose you bought. David Austin is a great company and would not like to think that they had been let down by a nursery outlet. It flags up to them both that a below standard rose has slipped through their stringent checking.