Snowball bush/hydrangea

I was sold this plant as a "snowball bush" about ten years ago. It grew to about five foot but never flowered. Suddenly, this year it grew about another two foot and flowered for the first time. However, it appears to be an hydrangea and not a snowball bush, am I right? Unfortunately now that the flowers are dying off something is eating the leaves, some of them are practically skeletal. it has some old and some new growth. should I cut it back now, can I treat it in anyway. HELP

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 26,081

Hi Vivien. Could you post a picture to help with identification?

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • VivienVivien Posts: 42

Sorry, pressed send too soon.

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,652

I think it's a viburnum, Vivien. It has its very own beetle, though I forget the name. You can cut it back now if you want to. Give it a feed after. They can grow pretty big if you leave them but will flower happily even if pruned. They usually survive pest attacks but if you are really worried someone on here will know the remedy.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

There is a type of viburnum called a snowball bush but that's not it.

This is the roseum but your's looks more like the compactum.

OOOOOOOOOO giant picture!!!!!!!!!!! image

Hi Vivien. As Posy says it is a Viburnum. It is the one called Viburnum plicatum 'Mariesii' and its common name is the Japanese snowball so you did in fact buy a 'Snowball' even if it wasn't the one you were expecting. The best time to spray the pests is in April/May but not when the flowers are out or pollinators may be killed. Viburnums even really tatty ones will not really suffer any lasting problems so it may be best to just leave it alone. Next season try to pick off as many caterpillars as you can before the infestation gets too great.

pp - stop throwing snowballs!

Sowwy. image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,058

I think that's Viburnum opulus not mariesii. The leaves are different

But not Viburnum oplulus 'Sterile'.(or whatever we call it now)

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,058

I would have edited that to say 'not Viburnum plicatum 'Mariesii' but the edit button has gone off somewhere.