growing clematis up a metal gate

Please help! Im tryung to grow a mrs thompson a golden memories/sunrise? And a josephine clematis up a metal gate out of a large wooden planter that i made which is approx 1.5metres x 400mm.  I followed theplanting instructions but nothings growing in fact they have all lost their flowers already.  I only planted them two weeks ago. Am i just being impatient? By watering only in the evenings is this enough? Also i have tied them to the fanned out canes tilted towards the gate using the ties that came with the plants.  Any help out there???!!!!

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,983

Not all clematis like growing in containers and 40cm is not really deep enough, at the very least they should be 45cm deep. They would be better off in the garden so you should check to see if yours are suitable varieties. It is natural for some flower loss after transplanting until the roots have settled in so 2 weeks is still early days. Be careful not to over water.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • tonyali78tonyali78 Posts: 4

Thankyou

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,959

Hi Tony - at two weeks since planting, they're only just getting settled. It also depends what size the plants are to start with.  If the plants are small, you would have been better potting them on till they're more substantial before putting them in there. 

Is the 400mm the width of the container or the depth? Clematis get big below ground so they need plenty of room to develop, as Ladybird has said. If there's sufficient volume in the container, they should be ok. Make sure you have a  suitable mix of soil and compost, not compost alone,  if the plants are going to be there long term, as well as sufficient drainage. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Have i done the right thing by using tge paper twisty ties around the stems to secure the clematis in postion to the canes?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,983

Do you mean the ones with a wire down the middle? If so they need to be removed.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

Thankyou ive replaced them now fingers crossed they grow properly

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,959

Soft string is ideal for tying in delicate shoots.  Easy to get hold of, and cheap - supermarkets often have it. image

There are other soft ties available in GCs and DIY stores too -  I think they're quite pricey but you can re use them of course. Depends on your budget! 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....