Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

GW Magazine - crazy amount of advertising

I get that you need advertising to make a magazine pay, BUT I sat down to read my magazine whilst my kids were swimming and the amount of advertising in the mag seems to have gone mad.  32 pages out of 135 which doesn't include the market place section. (if my maths is correct that is 23% of the magazine is advertising (whole pages))

If this carries on, I'm not bothering to renew my subscription.  Its a double edged sword, if people stop buying = less revenue = need more advertising to pay for it = more people stop buying...

What does everyone else think.  This month seems especially bad...

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

Hi Peanuts3. That is why I cancelled my subscription. Sadly the RHS magazine is not much better.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Emma915Emma915 Posts: 95

Has anyone received their July copy yet?

• NanniemoNanniemo Posts: 226

I didn't renew mine in January because of the price increase which I felt was over the top, & I now loan it for a week from my local library which is free. At least with the RHS magazine you have free entrance into their gardens and some partner gardens.

• Sophie17Sophie17 Posts: 342

Emma, yes got mine yesterday

• KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

My July copy arrived on Monday too.

• Emma915Emma915 Posts: 95

Coincidentally mine came in today's mail too

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Its funny, but I don't notice adverts - my brain must have trained itself to filter them out, and I just flick straight past them.  I haven't noticed the content in GW mag reducing at all - so maybe it just has more pages nowimage

• KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

I'm with you chicky.  I really didn't notice the ads.  Most are in a section at the back anyway so are even easier to ignore.  What annoys me more is the amount of rubbish shoved inside.  You take the magazine out of the wrapper and end up with king sized confetti all over the floor.  Does anybody actually read any of it?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I don't notice them - but then I don't notice most of the tv ones either - except that odd chap with the stary eyes on Hello Fresh - he's weird (sorry if someone on here is his mum!!!)

Advertising pays for a large proportion of the magazine, and the loose ads that come with it help pay for the delivery (mine go straight into recycling) - and you do get the Two for One card for loads of garden visits - it seems reasonable value to me.  image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I gave up on GW magazine a few years back when the January issue had 17 out of the 34 pages devoted to Christmas stuff. 

With magazines in wrappers, I take the corner of a page of the mag and gently pull whilst giving a little shake and all the cr*p stays in the bag.

Devon.