Hydrangea Help

imagemy husband and I  planted  this on Saturday., i broke the root ball up like i was taught when planting  flowers and watered it well.  Its been sitting on  our deck for 6 weeks in a pot because I  got put on bedrest soon after i got it. (I am 36 weeks along now)  Its an LA Dreamin. It looked  great. I kept it watered. We live in GA so we have lovely  GA clay but we it has great top soil  on top plus I  added soil to it when we planted it. We watered  it well after planting and we have been  trying to  water it regularly... it now looks terrible image is it dead? Its SO HOT RIGHT NOW. Can i save it. My mom gave it to me for my birthday. Can someone please tell me what  to do to save it?

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

maybe in that heat, its just getting too much sun to cope with, after just being planted.  Could you move it to somewhere out of direct sun until it cools down and then if needs be move it back to where you want it when it cools down in the autumn.  Having lived in Kansas for a few years, I can totally appreciate that heat, and no wonder its struggling.

Hope you can get it to recover soon.

PS I'm no expert by the way, just guessing at what to do.  Someone else on here might have a better idea.

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Hydrangea's aren't big fans of heat as Peanuts said and instead prefer more shade/half shade areas. They also require a lot of watering, we had 24c here with direct sun and mine started wilting in the afternoon. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004

Shade and moisture is what they need. The clue's in their name - hydra means water. It's a very sad looking specimen just now. I'd lift it from there and get it back in a decent pot with soil, not just compost, water it thoroughly and often, and keep it somewhere shady to recover. 

If it does, and it should, let it mature a bit and then find the right place for it to be planted  image

Where's GA ?  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ripplyripply Posts: 73

I took it to mean Georgia, USA. No idea really though. 

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

It could be that some of the roots were damaged when you broke up the rootball so the plant isn't able to take up water very well, but as mentioned above, hydrangeas like to be in the shade and prefer damp soil so the advice to repot the plant and wait until it is more mature before planting out again is very sound. You can encourage the plant to become more bushy by pruning it a little. As it is so droopy it might be a good idea to prune it back by a few inches anyway to give it a chance to recover.

Sounds as though you are going to be very busy in a few weeks time.

• caineskidcaineskid Posts: 2

Thanks Guys, it gets morning  sun then shade the rest of the day. GA is Georgia. ?. I gave it a  good watering  this afternoon  and most of it perked back up and its got lots of new growth  at the bottom. I am gonna prune  back the burnt and dead stuff off.  My neighbor  has big ole hydrangeas  in his front  yard so i know its an ok place  for them. Just  freaked a little bit  when  it looked so sad. We just got a  good rain also, so i am hoping that it will establish well