Forum home Problem solving

Grass seed hasn't worked. What have I done wrong?

2»

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520

If you have a lot of shade, pick a seed mix suitable for that ripply. My front garden is north north west facing. I've had to re seed some areas where I've had building supplies sitting for a while. The areas I've done, around three weeks ago,  are already through. They're shaded by the new building and the hedge for a large part of the day.  I used a sprinkling of compost with the seed mixed in. A lot of it was hardly covered but it was in good contact with the ground. 

Stony poor soil isn't ideal either, but with a bit of care you can grow grass. You may need to add some soil to those areas to give them a helping hand. Grass needs light, warmth and moisture to thrive, but it also needs air at the roots, so if the soil's compacted, you'll need to aerate it. A fork pushed in over the whole area is often enough. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• michael mpcmichael mpc Posts: 422

hi  to all  the grasses that I planted in the small pots looks good 40 pots all standing well like pots of chives nice bunches   watered every thing in g/h pricked a few toms feeding 14 out of 20 ing/house so pleased some more ahead than others outside toms ok (weeds growing well )     image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520

Hope you have better success this time ripply. Grass seed is usually fairly straightforward unless it's very dry after sowing and/or too cold. 

The module sowing is fine for a small area Michael - bit time consuming for doing a big area! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• michael mpcmichael mpc Posts: 422

hi fairy girl yes I aggre with you mine is for patches where dog has peed even when I see her and spray with water some bare patchs           ..I don't think I would do a big patch turf will be better image