Plum Tree

Help!

when pruning my plum tree today (spring growth), I've accidentally split the branches at a fork point, which may result in losing two main branches of the tree! Is there anything I can do to repair the damage. I've wrapped some garden twine round both to close the gap in the split in the hope they may knit back together.

just wondered if anyone has any useful tips or advice?

thanks ????

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,696

Hi Groundhog 2,

I did a similar thing to my Victoria plum tree a couple of years ago.  It was a very young tree so the affected branches weren't big - maybe an inch or so in diameter - and I "whipped" the split together with thick biodegradable twine.  This spring I undid the "whipping" and the split appeared to have knitted together; I've tied the branches together again further up the "V" with old tights (stretchy to allow for some movement, but giving a bit of support).

Not sure how well this would work with bigger branches but I'd be tempted to try it I think.  You might need to "splint" your repair for added strength, perhaps...

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Thats great thanks Liriodendron I forgot to mention the fact my tree is also very young. it's been in the ground coming up 3 years. Reassuring to know you did something similar, hopefully it will knit together without much issue.

thanks again ?