Climbing Roses

I have a west facing wall at the bottom of my garden,could someone recommend on this forum the best climbing rose for this situation. TIA.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,150

Hi christine. There are such a lot of roses that would love this position. I would recommend Rosa banksiae lutea. It is a thornless variety with yellow flowers that are fragrant but I would recommend also that you go to a dedicated growers site (David Austin for example) and you will see so many beautiful roses that you won't know which one to have. image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,333

Your choice will depend on whether you want it repeat flowering, perfume, which colour and its eventual height and spread as well as how good your soil is and how exposed is the site.   Something else to consider is the support system - trellis on battens or wires stretched on vine eyes screwed into the wall - as a vigorous rose can be heavy in strong winds.

David Austin have their own English roses which make short climbers asw ell as other climbing roses.  Peter Beale and Harkness are other rose breeders and growers whose websites you could consult.

I have Generous Gardener (DA) doing very well on the west facing side of a trellis fence that separates my veggie plot from the ornamental garden.   It has soft pink flowers with good perfume and healthy foliage.    Teasing Georgia is another good one - doesn't get quite as big but produces masses of blooms for me over a long period and with good perfume.

There are some repeat flowering ramblers now available too - Malvern Hills, Lady of the Lake, Phyllis Bide.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 875
    Ladybird4 says:

There are such a lot of roses that would love this position. I would recommend Rosa banksiae lutea. It is a thornless variety with yellow flowers that are fragrant

See original post

Rosa Banksii lutea is indeed a most beautiful rose.  I grew it on a house I used to live in on the south facing wall in the south of England and it was magnificent.  My favourite rose.  It does however get very big so I hope your wall is tall and wide to give it the space it needs, should you decide on this one.

• I have a Rosa Banksiae Lutea growing up the front of my house, over the storm porch and across the frontage. It's absolutely glorious, and pretty large. It's an early flowerer too, I think mine started very early May, so it's all done by early June. It's west facing and not the sunniest of locations due to shadowing from another part of the house, but it does brilliantly.

I've just bought another one to grow up and over a new pergola as I love the other one so much.

This one doesn't like having wet feet, so as long as you have a dryish area at the bottom of the wall (ie. it doesn't puddle here due to an incline/clay soil) it should do well.