Jasmine - too early for flowers?

Kai_63Kai_63 Posts: 81

I planted a young Jasmine Officianale last October against a SE wall. It's got lots of new green growth but no flowers. Is it too early, I wasn't sure if all the rain is having an effect (we are in London)? I understand that it's common not to have flowers with the younger plants sometimes. 

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Mine was planted in April and has been flowering for a week or so. The rain is knocking the flowers off though, I'm not sure it likes it. 

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,008

My varigated pink Jasmine has been flowering for a week and the white one hasn't started to flower yet.  Both have been planted a number of years.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • In my old garden J. officinale never flowered before July--I don't know whether your microclimate would bring things on quicker though. I wouldn't be surprised if a young plant wanted to put on some vegetative growth first but mine (which was grown from a cutting) seemed to flower from a pretty small plant.

• MarygoldMarygold Posts: 325

I seem to remember my jasmine taking a few years before it flowered. It hasn't flowered yet this year. Sorry, but don't know what variety it is. It has golden leaves.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,283

Mine just coming into bud - I was about to trim back some rampant growth but will hold off now I've spotted the flowers.  Either I don't have the genes to smell it or mine has no scent tunfortunately, so it holds limited appeal here as the growth tends to strangle my other plants.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Kai_63Kai_63 Posts: 81

Thanks all.

Mine has white flowers as I recall from the label so perhaps they are due any day now - I live in hope.

Bob oh no, I hope there is some scent from mine, it seems to be one of the few plants I can smell from far away and it's the main reason i planted it!

• In Bedfordshire mine was flowering from April and is just about over now, except for a few late stragglers. However the one in France took several years to get established and only now flowers prolifically - again in the spring.  Feed and encourage this year and you may get some late flowers, but I suspect you will have to wait for it to get more established.

• This Jasmine is a few years old - very healthy foliage (on a South East facing fence) but never flowered!! Any ideas?image

• NanniemoNanniemo Posts: 190

My white jasmine is in it's second year and the buds are just starting to open. I live in Hertfordshire.

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    Tabitharose says:

This Jasmine is a few years old - very healthy foliage (on a South East facing fence) but never flowered!! Any ideas?

imageSee original post

Yours is the same as mine and it's been flowering for a few weeks, I brought it this year in April.