Abandoned garden

Hi all,

We just moved into our new house and our garden while its not big, it hasn't been trimmed for a very nong time, therefore the grass is too high!

Got any advices on to what lawn mower I should buy to handle it? Will a handpush do the job?

Thanks!

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Yann, a mower won't cut long grass. It needs to be strimmed or scythed down to a few inches before using a mower.

• cornellycornelly Posts: 816

Dave is right, strim to clear the long grass and make sure the cut grass is removed before attempting to use a mower, a push mower will probably do the trick either electric or petrol.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,337

Buy yourself a strimmer - or borrow one - and cut the grass down to 2 or 3 inches.   Remove all the cut stuff to a compost heap.  Then you can cut the grass with a normal lawnmower and the model depends on the size of the lawn, your budget and fitness - manual, or an electrical or petrol powered flymo type or cylindrical mower.

Don't cut it too short the first few times as it needs to recover from being a hay meadow.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • yannyann Posts: 2

Thanks a lot all of you!

I 'll get a strimmer and a handpush mower.

I think it will be cheaper, right?

Any suggestions on what to buy?

Thanks!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,337

It depends on size of lawn and budget available.

Have a look around in local garden centres and DIY stores to see what's available and don't forget freecycle.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw