Forum home Tools and techniques

Magnolia Stellata

B3B3 Posts: 11,505

I planted out a young magnolia stellata in the spring. As soon as the young leaves appear, they're eaten.

I was thinking of pulling it out and putting it in a container for a year or so in the hope that when it's more mature, it will be better able to withstand the onslaught.

What do you think? 

ps It's near the wilder part of my garden so the usual methods of slug control are fruitless.

In London. Keen but lazy.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,246

That is definitely a possibility B3. Give it a chance to get more robust. I would try that myself as it is a lovely tree.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • B3B3 Posts: 11,505

Thanks ladybird

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

Can you put a copper ring around the plant or can slugs abseil down overhanging branches?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,299

They use crampons and everything here Ceres....image

I'd agree with Ladybird - pot it up and let it get a bit more mature. It would be a shame to lose it.

Slugs and snail are like most pests, worse some years than others. They've been in shorter supply up here this year as we've had more dry cold weather, instead of the usual wet cold, while lots of other areas have had mild and wet conditions just at the right time for slugs to go forth and multiply....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 11,505

It's in an ideal situation for absnailing .

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,299

B3   image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....