Potato Seeds

I have tried growing potatoes, and have noted that the plants seem to grow a number of flowers which once pollinated grow into a smallish (approx 1.5cm diameter) fruit similar in appearance to a tomato but green.

I have tried to research harvesting and using the seeds from these fruit as a possible alternate source to expensive traditional potato tubers.

Does any have any experience or information that might help me?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,929

I should think all spuds are cultivars and would not seed true

It would take more than one season of growth to get more spuds and they're not hardy so you'd have to protect the young plants through the winter. You couldn't sow seed in spring and get spuds in late summer.

Have you looked inside those little green tomatoes to see if they contain seed? If so, they would need to ripen on the plant which would interfere with the harvesting of the spuds.

Doesn't sound like a goer to me

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,558

I'm inclined to agree with nut.

I've never tried growing potato from seed, but the green berries will turn purple/black in a while which I guess is when they're ripe.
    You've got nowt to loose (other than time and bit of compost) by trying

You may come up with the new Maris Piper!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,929

I don't grow spuds Pete. Do you think the seeds would be ripe before you needed to dig up the plant for harvest?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,912

Seed potato tubers are expensive because it takes work and time to produce them - there is not cheap and easy short cut. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

nutcutlet says:

I don't grow spuds Pete. Do you think the seeds would be ripe before you needed to dig up the plant for harvest?

See original post

I don't grow them either.
    But I do recall as a lad (so many yrs ago) my Dad did grow them and I remember the berries going black, and being advised by my Dad not to eat them - which was good advice

• The little green "Tomatoes" do contain hundreds of what appear to be seeds.

These appear to grow as a matter of the normal growth of the plant. This is the second year I have grown potatoes, and the Potatoes last time appeared to be fine and in no way impaired by the presence of them.

It would be nice to be able to use the seeds rather than dispose of them!

Is there any one who can point me towards some web page with the information I am after?

• Thanks Pete8,

Excellent article. I may save the seeds and experiment!

You'll have to let us know how you get on, it's an interesting experiment.

I don't have the patience

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

I believe it takes about 4 years for a viable harvest and they will probably not come true, that is they may be a cross and quite unlike their parents.