Forum home Fruit & veg

Question about my Courgettes

Hi, new member here. This year i decided to grow some courgettes and they seemed to be doing well, they have big leaves and i can see lots of places where the fruit will form however i have noticed that All the flowers are only on the females (fruit bearers) And there is no male flowers in sight, only a few small male buds.

What i have noticed is that on one of my plants the female flower bearing fruit has shrivelled back and went black inside and fell off . My question is whats gong on? Howcome the males aren't flowering before the females and is there anything i can do?imageimageimageimage

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,942

That ofetn happens as they start flowering.  It will have both sorts within two weeks or so.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,120

I'm growing courgettes for the first time and had male flowers first, then female, now more male ones. Haven't done any hand pollinating or any thing, just left them to get on with it.

I have quite a few fruits growing, mines a yellow variety too, "Atena". image

• iGrowiGrow Posts: 183

It is not unusual that the first fruits rot off - make sure if this happens that you remove and discard. 

• ChriscoreChriscore Posts: 121

Ah cool, thanks for the responses.Yeah i really like the yellow varieties! I will keep my eye on the one which the flower dropped off. When do you recommend i feed them?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

This is my largest one this morning, it's 6" long, most of the others are about 3" at the moment.

I'm tempted to pick it for lunch image 

Any advice on when to pick for best flavour?

• Stuart RStuart R Posts: 42

Personally I would pick it now kitty, perhaps earlier for the next one!! The joy of growing your own is that you can pick when the fruits are small and enjoy their lovely sweetness and firm texture, unlike those bought in supermarkets :) Enjoy!

• Looks great!

Agree with Stuart, pick now and keep picking as they're nicer small/med and otherwise theyll stop producing.

If you pick often you'll have courgettes for months. For me they're the first to crop and last to stop.

Enjoy!

Thanks Stuart and 8000, I can pick away with confidence now. image

It's great to get help from experienced growers when you're unsure about something new.

It's so very shiny, looks like I've been polishing it with pledge image.  I have some green beans ready to harvest too, just have to decide what to cook now. 

• ChriscoreChriscore Posts: 121

Hey just an update on my courgettes, As you can see in the photo the flowers on the female fruits are dying off and mostly fallen off the fruits. What i wanna know is are these fruits doomed? should i take them off now or leave them be? Bearing in mind the male ones havent flowered yet. Wheres the damn sun!?

imageimage