Nematodes and slug control

Hi

Apologies if this has been covered in previous posts, but I'm desperate to know if I can use nematodes in my greenhouse and in pots?  I have a dreadful slug phobia and also a dreadful slug invasion.  Said phobia means I can't pick the little blighters off my crops, even though OH assures me they are just homeless snails (for which I don't have a phobia!).  

I've also seen copper tape advertised for keeping the slugnasties out of my crops, but don't know if they work or how they work.

I've tried just about all the natural deterrents - crushed egg shells, gravel, cinders, etc - but my particular slugnasties seem to have cast iron feet and just wander over the deterrents.

I don't want to use slug pellets as I have a couple of hedgehogs and many birds coming to my garden, and also own 4 cats, so poison really isn't an option.

If any of you have a really good tried and tested method for slug and snail control, please let me into your secrets!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,927

Frogs are good. I put slug pubs down last night and have just inspected them. Near the pond, they have not caught any. Hostas near the pond do not have holes. I caught the most next to the French beans, which are the furthest from the pond.  I have a resident frog in the greenhouse. He has his own personal pond(a dish of water)

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Native58Native58 Posts: 27

I have a toad living in my greenhouse - and he does control some of the slugs.  He also has a small pond of his own in a dog bowl with a brick in it.  

The problem with slug pubs is that the nasty little blighters are there in full view image, which would leave me a quivering mess.  I know that a slug phobia is not the best thing for a fledgling gardener to have, which is why I need some kind of control that will dispose of most of them.

thanks for the info image

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Continue to encourage frogs, toads, hedgehogs, birds & slow worms etc. Nematodes are probably the best option but they need applying every 6 weeks in Spring-Autumn. The wet weather and mild winter hasn't helped us at all as gardeners. I've found lambs wool pellets are the next thing, completely wildlife friendly and have been about 75% effective for me. 

• ChriscoreChriscore Posts: 121

I had loads of slugs invading my herbs but since i started using copper tape around my pots i havent found any slugs or snails in there. And yet they will go for my plant nearby which does not have tape round it (i ran out haha) I would recommend trying it and also putting down a little tray/saucer of beer works too.

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

After the torrential rain last night my runner beans got invadedby slugs and snails..  The plants drooped down and the varmit got a leg upover the copper tape..  Grr I found about 15 or so of em this mornimng first thing.... They gan glide iver the tape if the tape is wet..

Generally it works by giving them an electrostatic shock and they turn back...

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,283

Native58, yes they do work.

I watered them onto my whole garden on Sunday and now no sign of any slugs.  Once infected the slugs go underground to die so you will never see them unlike when using pellets or beer traps!image

To be certain the nematodes work, I always catch a few and put them in a container then water on some nematodes.  Sure enough those are all now ex-slugs.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Native58Native58 Posts: 27

Thank you all for your words of wisdom :)