Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Good garden centres/nurseries between London and North Yorkshire?

We're taking a long August Bank Holiday family holiday near York, driving up and down from London. 

Because baby is still so young, we'll need to make stops. So I was wondering if anyone is familiar with any good GC's or nurseries that are near the main roads on this route? Maybe with somewhere to have a cup of tea or coffee?

• Try hardTry hard Posts: 25

You could try Roxton Garden Centre on the A1 at the Black Cat round about, this is north of Biggleswade/Sandy. They do nice lunches, teas and is easy to get back onto A1. Just had a lovely lunch there and got some good vegetable plants which you don't see at all GC. Hope that helps. I've travelled a few times to Leeds when my daughter lived there so not a bad road as long as you don't mind roundabouts. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

If you're going up the M1, at junction 27,turn left for half a mile, turn left and down a long drive to Felley Priory nursery and tea room. So close to the M1, but a little oasis of calm.

• AH Breezyknees! This one came up on GoogleMaps. Glad to hear it recommended. 

Thank you all for your recommendations - will explore them!

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

Aylett Nurseries in St Albans. Very child friendly and their jacket potatoes are excellent! http://www.aylettnurseries.co.uk/

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831

Used to visit Stephen Smiths' at Otley, very large, and soooooo much cheaper than London.  Keep the credit cards in the glove compartment!

• If you're going down the M42 at all there's Planters at Tamworth, that's my favourite garden centre. 

• TooeyTooey Posts: 95

I can 2nd Ayletts and Roxton! I work near Ayletts and live near Roxton so I'm a frequent visitor to both. image

• Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 518

I live in Leeds (no surprise there), and quite often go to Langlands Garden centre.  They have one in York and one (that I go to) just off the M1 on the A64.  There are others too but that one is the best and closest to your route in Leeds (in my opinion....).

Also has a good cafe onsite.

Last edited: 23 June 2016 21:25:12

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

Tooey, I'd go bankrupt if I worked near Ayletts! image

• TooeyTooey Posts: 95

I have to limit my trips there Aster2. I'm moving jobs soon thankfully I won't have that temptation anymore