lawn fungus

imagecan anybody tell me if this is honey fungus? we had a cherry tree that was dying,  it  was cut down, all the main roots removed as they started to grow new trees. the trunk was left to rot as it was to big to get out, we noticed mushroom like things starting to grow around the stump, we tried all things, someone said seaweed, that was great it started to make a difference, we had  the trunk removed and carried on  treating  the lawn, removed any so called infected parts no sign of them,. great we replace the lawn in spring garden looking great!! But after the recent rain they are back. the photo is of last years problem so far not as bad but getting worse. any help gratefully received.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 26,004

These little mushrooms are actually still feeding on the rotting tree remains under the soil and are not really anything you need to be too worried about - definitely not honey fungus.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,566

Definitely not honey fungus.  As Ladybird says, they're just feeding on the decaying matter in the ground and making it available to your plants.  Part of Nature's wonderful world. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• What you see are merely the fruiting bodies, the main parts of the fungi are underground feeding on the dead roots, so if you don't like their appearance you can remove them without affecting the bit below ground. They will still return though!

• martjaxmartjax Posts: 4

all the tree and roots have been removed, that picture was last year, but no matter what we do they are just spreading, it is always after rain, do you know any thing that might kill them?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,566

There will still be finer tree roots under the lawn.  Just wait until the grass is dry and use a stiff broom, knock them down and sweep them off (add to compost heap).  

They really are doing no harm - in fact they're a sign of the rich ecological diversity in your garden. A good thing. 

They'll disappear anyway when the weather dries out.  

Last edited: 23 June 2016 10:14:11

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

thank you for your help

• My front lawn, which incidentally has excellent drainage, is infested with toadstools, spoiling the appearance of my well kept lawn. My back lawn on clay soil has very few. Each day I remove the 40 or so toadstools from my front lawn. I admit it does seem worse after rain but then why are there so few on my back lawn which is constantly moist?

The fungi in the lawn it seems to be again under control, the worse thing was it appeared in our garden amongst our flowers.
    On our lawn we sprinkled cultivated seaweed all over, a few kept coming back, so we tried salt, that seems to have worked now, some patches of the grass lost its colour, but i think that was moss areas.
    The ones amongst the flowers we just used salt, we watched as they died back very quick, next day added a little more in the sames places, so far nothing and we have had rain most nights, its now 3 days and nights still clear.
    fingers crossed XX

Last edited: 28 June 2016 07:55:37