Forum home Plants

Reluctant foxgloves

BerkleyBerkley Posts: 428

I sowed seeds of two types of foxglove last year - Camelot and Summer King. The flowers on the Camelot plants are lovely but there isn't a single flower stalk on the Summer King - although they all have a strong rosette of leaves. Should I leave them fo a while, replace them with something else or leave them in and hope they will perform next year? I must admit to being very disappointed. 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,438

I would definitely leave them Berkley.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • definitely leave them yes.
    Same with me, seeds planted two years ago, last year the plant grew strongly but no flowers and this year i got this monster! image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,228

Definitely leave them - they'll bloom next year image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BerkleyBerkley Posts: 428

Thanks for all the advice. I'll definitely leave them where they are. If I also leave the Camelot plants in, might they flower again next year too?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,153

Summer king is T&M name for D. x mertonensis. Sometimes they do take two years to flower, but are more perennial than normal foxgloves . Might last four years instead of two. very nice colour though.

Camelot I would rip out if they have flowered this year and put new seeds in for next year now.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • BerkleyBerkley Posts: 428

Thank you so much, fidgetbones for such a helpful (and knowledgeable!) reply.