Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Best time to take Semi-Hardwood cuttings

Hello all, 

im currently growing a Star Jasmine and a Jasminum Officinale 

i am wanting to take some cuttings from both plants so I can reproduce for next year..

i have researched on how to take cuttings and propagate but I cannot find anywhere online on what's the best time of year to take cuttings of semi hardwood 

both plants are currently lush green and not flowering yet. 

Can anyone please advise me on best time of the year to take cuttings and again any more advice or pictures on where to take cuttings and what to look for then that will be most grateful 

many thanks all 

Tommy 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Semi ripe is something you get with experience. It is older than soft, but not hard.  If the top three inch is really bendy and wilts easily it is soft. If it had gone hard so that it doesn't bend easily it is hard. Semi ripe is somewhere in the middle.  Can I suggest you take a few cuttings every three weeks or so, from now.

• TommyvbTommyvb Posts: 10

ah thank you for replies... 

Yes currently my plants are very lush green and look very fresh.. 

Bottom of the stems are brown from last years growth but this year  they have grown a lot more 

So ill monitor the plants are look to take in August.... 

Also looking after the cuttings through the deep winter.. Would you recon it be ok in a external garage with no heating 

But keep under propagation or would you recommend having some warmth 

thank you 

• FritillaryFritillary Posts: 498

With the common Jasmine (Officinale) it will root very easily if there are bits drooping down onto the soil. I am forever having to pull up pieces that have rooted into the ground.image

If you are doing semi ripe, I put them in plug trays with a plastic dome on top. A cut down 2litre fizzy pop bottle will go over a 7cm pot. Semi ripe should be rooted by autumn. Protect with a cold frame or shed windowsill in winter, they need some light. Pot on into 7cm pots in spring. When the roots fill that pot, either pot on or plant out.

As fritillary says,  Jasmine shoots root wherever they touch the ground. It is easy to layer them. Pin a long dangling shoot into a pot of soil, and cover up a joint or two. When roots have grown,  sever from the main plant.

• TommyvbTommyvb Posts: 10

Ah right thanks again for more info.... 

Ill take all info onboard and start giving a go.... 

ill take star jasmine cuttings mid July early August .. 

Thank you