Forum home Plants

What are these please?

Next doors lack of gardening is starting to send quite a lot over our way, and being a novice I have no idea whether to cut it back like crazy of go with the flow. 

This is coming through our lilac bush:

This is under our hydrangea:

And this also under/next to the hydrangea:

Thank you!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,556

1. Looks like a Cotoneaster, possibly C. horizontalis

2.  Possibly hellebore leaves

3.  An ash tree seedling.  Dig it out!!! 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,170

The bottom one with the reddish new leaves is an ash tree seedling, get it out. 

Middle one looks like a peony

Top one a cotoneaster. At least two of those (1& 3) will have grown from seeds dropped by birds sitting on the tree.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

1. I agree cotoneaster

2. looks like peony maybe?

3. most definitely an ash tree - remove sharpish!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,556

Mmm, yes 2 could be peony ...... image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for all the replies. Right 1 and 2 can stay. The ash is close to the house, so that's got to go. 

Now, how I I go about telling next door to pull their finger out and start removing the other ash trees that are shooting up further over their boundary. They are renting and I don't think they care at all. Maybe I should ask the landlord to do something about it?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,170

I would, otherwise there will be a forest there.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • It's only about 6 foot from the house too, so with the root system they really do need to go. Husband has almost had a fit, he deals with subsidence and buildings falling down quite a bit. I think I shall play on this and try to get him to do the digging. image

• Thanks aym, it's on the list to dig out asap!

• Funnily enough mine is also surrounded by Irises!