Forum home Plants

What are these please?

Next doors lack of gardening is starting to send quite a lot over our way, and being a novice I have no idea whether to cut it back like crazy of go with the flow. 

This is coming through our lilac bush:

This is under our hydrangea:

And this also under/next to the hydrangea:

Thank you!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,800

1. Looks like a Cotoneaster, possibly C. horizontalis

2.  Possibly hellebore leaves

3.  An ash tree seedling.  Dig it out!!! 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,569

The bottom one with the reddish new leaves is an ash tree seedling, get it out. 

Middle one looks like a peony

Top one a cotoneaster. At least two of those (1& 3) will have grown from seeds dropped by birds sitting on the tree.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

1. I agree cotoneaster

2. looks like peony maybe?

3. most definitely an ash tree - remove sharpish!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,800

Mmm, yes 2 could be peony ...... image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks for all the replies. Right 1 and 2 can stay. The ash is close to the house, so that's got to go. 

Now, how I I go about telling next door to pull their finger out and start removing the other ash trees that are shooting up further over their boundary. They are renting and I don't think they care at all. Maybe I should ask the landlord to do something about it?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,569

I would, otherwise there will be a forest there.

• It's only about 6 foot from the house too, so with the root system they really do need to go. Husband has almost had a fit, he deals with subsidence and buildings falling down quite a bit. I think I shall play on this and try to get him to do the digging. image

• Thanks aym, it's on the list to dig out asap!

• Funnily enough mine is also surrounded by Irises!