Forum home Problem solving

Something eating hydrangea

KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,520

Just one of my hydrangeas is being eaten by something, but I can't see what.  Nothing obvious on the leaves.  Some circular holes, and elsewhere the leaves are being stripped down to ribs.  Any suggestions on likely cause and solutions?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,935

Could it be a sawfly of some kind KT53? The stripped leaves are typical of them. Not sure if they go for hydrangeas though. image

Or a caterpillar? 

The damage you describe suggests they could be likely suspects. 

I've never had damage on hydrangeas though, so can't be sure. Someone here will know though!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,520

Oddly enough, I had problems with one in the back garden for a couple of years but that one hasn't been touched this year.  The problem one is in the front garden, but is one of three out there and the others haven't been touched.  I think I'll take a couple of leaves into our local GC and see if they can help.

• I spotted a vine weevil having a go at mine.. CouLd be that? 

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Mine had vine weevil damage this year too.

I'll let you know the outcome once I've shown the evidence to the GC staff.

Hope you get it resolved and don't lose the shrub KT image

If Bob (the Gardener) was around, he might know the cause and  have a solution image

• I've had vine weevils on mine .. After dark they can be seen munching the leaves but the real damage is done by larvae to the roots from August apparently 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,107

Circular holes and the fact that only one plant is affected makes me think it might be a Leaf-cutter bee image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Good thought Dove - I made an assumption that the holes were in the middle of the leaves for some reason. image

Lovely if it's a leaf cutter bee though! image

They aren't all circular.  Many more leaves have been reduced to the ribs.  Even the circular hole I saw yesterday has now been 'converted' into destroyed leaf.