Forum home The potting shed

Weed n Feed

Weed n Feed .

Is this harmful to children , asthma sufferers, diabetics,? 

Does it cause damage to the brain etc

Do we know  what  is actually in these products?   

I don't use any myself but I know and see many who do. 

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,149

By its very nature, it isn't going to be good to eat. My husband was wont to chuck this sort of stuff all over the lawn but this year he has let the weeds grow and we've had violets and forget-me-nots and daisies in the lawn plus a whole lot of things we probably don't want. That said, it feels a happier place and I'm sure the wildlife benefits.

• cornellycornelly Posts: 968

It is for use on lawns, not the veg plot, so I don't see how it is going to reach the dining room table, I use it without any obvious effects, certainly kills weeds in our lawn and gives good grass growth.

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,149

I would never use it in the veg plot but there are a lot of creatures who dine on the lawn.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,944

I don't usually eat my grass so I think I'll be ok  image

I use it once a year - occasionally twice. I think the other things I do to help wildlife more than make up for the small amount of weedkiller I put in the ground. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,523

I have used the 4 in 1, which I presume is Weed and Feed plus 2 other things.  To the best of my knowledge I'm not any more gaga than I was before using it.  No children have appeared in the garden since application so it seems that it does stop them.  image

• granmagranma Posts: 1,929

Thank you every much for your replies . I was co corned about grandchildren playing on the grass after this been used .they both have asthma,

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,122

I use 4 in 1 on our front lawn. My OH is prone to asthma. He regularly cuts the lawn and has never had a problem.

However some people have different triggers - a sensitivity to mowed grass is not uncommon.  It's best to seek advice from their GP. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• granmagranma Posts: 1,929

Thank you very much for all your information, some very sensible comments ,help and suggestions .

Not forgetting the "funny"  added bits too!.

Doghouse Riley special  thanks, you've mapped it all out for me. , contact me if you ever have time on your hands  !!!!!!      ......   and your looking for  a lawn to control!!!!!! 

• KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,523
    Doghouse Riley says:

You should only need to use one application on your lawn each year.

I use the three in one. Weed, feed and moss kill. Last edited: 23 June 2016 10:31:00

See original post

The stuff I used this year seems to have lost the comma between "Weed" and "feed"image.  I've got more clover, dandelion, buttercup and other unwelcome visitors than ever before.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601

There is a report in my local paper today about treated lawn clippings, collected by council authorities and composted, then sold to compost companies to bulk up the product and replace peat. It says that some weedkiller's are known to remain active and some gardeners are seeing poisoning in tomato plants. I don't grow veg and I compost my own garden waste but I have decided never to use a weed and feed again.