Forum home Problem solving

Amelanchier in a pot

I have a Amelanchier in a 60cm pot for 2 years the height of it now is just over a metre high the leave have turn red now and are dropping and wilting now in June . It has not been that dry but I was to believe that  you need a free drain soil with this tree . Could it be root bound in the pot or other reasons help needed before it dies

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,777

Needs to be in the ground Muffs. Not really suitable for a pot long term. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I have grown an amelanchier in clay soil, in a place which sometimes got waterlogged in winter, and it was perfectly happy, so din't worry about putting in the ground. They are certainly too big for a pot.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,230

Definitely take it out of the pot and plant it in the garden. My soil sounds very like Alan's and my Amelanchier is very happy every year - the blackbirds and pigeons are stripping all its berries at the moment.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

Yes - they grow extremely well up here too. Loads of moisture and clay soil.

Very hard to replicate the ideal conditions in a pot over a long period of time. 

• Can I plant an Alamanchier tree in a large 60cm pot
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,567
    You can plant anything you want in a pot, but don’t expect it to grow well. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

The info's already on this thread  :)

• mallaidh49mallaidh49 Posts: 3
    It's all very well being pedantic but sometimes fate takes over. I have a very young Amelanchier, < 1 m high, 2 cm trunk, I need to keep it safe for a year or two at the most. So what size pot or tub and what growing medium should I use?
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 917
    If you plan to keep it in a pot until you can plant in the ground, then check the root ball and if necessary, choose a pot slightly bigger than the present one, use something like JI 3 as the medium and keep an eye on it.  Presumably you are aware of it's needs, etc,. You may need to re pot into something larger next year depending on your time scale.
    I don't think anyone is being pedantic as such - just giving the best advice for a (hopefully)  successful outcome :)
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,067
    Ours is in clay soil and had been doing ok until this year. This though is probably down to the strange weather we had earlier in the year.
    Would never consider having one in a pot but then we have the garden space which maybe others don't.