Forum home Plants

Any dahias which don't need to be lifted?

KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,525

My missus loves dahlias but I honestly can't be bothered with digging up the tubers and storing them every year.  Are there any dahlias which can simply be planted in the borders and forgotten about?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,854

As to whether your tubers survive is dependant on the weather.
    Dahlias come for warmer climes and do not get frost. In the UK they assume the same, so just keep flowering until the frost suddenly kills the top bit.

The tubers are underground and if they don't get frosted or too wet then they will survive.
    I've had several Arabian Night tubers in the ground for 3 yrs now and they come up every year for the slugs to feast on them...but they survive

Easiest way is to grow then from seed each year and treat them as annuals, the following year I always get quite a few that just re-appear

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,474

It rather depends on where you are in the UK. I would imagine that some dahlias would overwinter successfully in the balmy south - providing they don't get drowned! I have grown one successfully in a large pot which gets over wintered in my cold greenhouse and allowed to dry out. I then start watering again and up it pops. Its looking particularly healthy this year. I do similar with the chocolate Cosmos - Cosmos atrosanguineus.

I should have said it does require 'lifting' - in and out of the greenhouse image

Last edited: 18 June 2016 18:11:41

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,525

We're in Gloucestershire.  Fairly sheltered but do get our share of rain and frosts.  We are protected by the Cotswold escarpment from the worst of the winter.

• Dahlia merckii has been in the garden here for 5 years, we are on the reclaimed marshland in West Lancashire, very wet in winter, very dry in summer.

Thought we had lost it this year but no, back she is large as life, a magnificent plant.

This is our dahlia merckii flower, the plant is about 3 ft. round in Summer.

• KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,525

Thanks for the suggestions.  I might just give them a try.image

• peteSpeteS Posts: 870

I left David Howard in the ground last Winter and much to my surprise it survived, as I found when I nearly put a fork through it in the Spring. It wasn't a cold winter up here in't North but it was very wet.

One thing I did do was leave the stems on and they were planted pretty deep. But I've planted them deep before and they've still rotted away, so maybe there might be something in leaving the stems on over Winter.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,474

Richard, that is such a pretty flower. I'm going to look for that one!

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i leave my stems on to help protect over winter and they all survived, i can't be bothered with digging them up either, you can put a couple of trowel fuls of grit under them so that any winter rain drains awys from the tubers.

• Rob LockwoodRob Lockwood Midlands of EnglandPosts: 328

KT53 - for the first time last winter I left mine in and they've all survived - I'm in Nottingham and on sandy soil.  I mounded some compost over them (perhaps a 6 inch pyramid, and, when the weather started to warm, scraped the compost away (carefully!) to see if anything had survived and to get some light to them - they had, so I then bunged a propagator lid over the top to seal in any daytime heat, kept an eye out for frosts (if there'd been any forecast Id've re-covered them with compost) and put some slug pellets down.

I guess the only problem with this tactic is that you'll be left with a hole in the border if they don't come up next year but something in a pot might fill the gap!