Forum home Plants

Should I remove this plant?

Paul165Paul165 Posts: 97

Still working through my new very overgrown garden. 

This plant appears to be on its last legs. Most branches I pull come straight out. However, there are some pretty, if overgrown, climbing plants above. If I take this out is it going to have a knock on effect? I can't work out what's growing from where! 

Last edited: 18 June 2016 10:53:10

• Paul165Paul165 Posts: 97

imageimage

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

The woody bit at one time has been a clematis as you can see some wee clematis leaves at the top.

The green shiney leaves are ivy and they will damage the face of your wall. Your problem now is that the clematis is not self clinging and has climbed itself up through the ivy which is. It's little suckers are stuck on your wall.

If it was me I would take the whole lot down to a couple of feet. It's too much of a tangle to sort out ten feet up. Your clematis (which is a montana of some sort) will probably survive but take some cuttings just in case. The ivy I would get rid.

Do it now so that your montana can put on some new growth and you might even get some flowers next year.

Last edited: 18 June 2016 11:06:43

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

I think I'd take everything out and start again

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,351

I agree - get rid and start again image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Dove and nut you must have handmaidens or be accomplished in hole digging! image I'd never get that thing dug out. image

Take it all out?!  Thats a big decision, I'm not sure I have it in me...! 

So that's definitely ivy? Is ivy a 'weed'?  There were some lovely flowers up top a couple of weeks back but they've disappeared recently 

The clematis is easy. Just chop it off about knee high and run towards the gate with the sticky end.

The ivy you're going to have to get up close and personal. It'll resist all attempts to get it off the wall but you'll just have to persevere I'm afraid.

Right. I'm going in...

Right behind you. Go for it! image