Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

seedling mixture

I have been trying to get a seedling propagation mixture together, similar and as effective as the commercial growers use. Nigh on bloody impossible !

I went to the Alnwick Castle Gardens the other day and they recommended I try some supplier down in Lincolnshire for their mix. I found that this supplier only supplied  commercial amounts, and I would have required a car park to store their delivery sizes ! Another place in Carlisle was as useless.

I am simply after, some fine bark mixture, to blend with something like Innes No1, and hope to grow seeds and or seedlings that grow perkily under cover, until they are as I see in garden centers.............. simple enough ?

Has anyone out there got the secret that will take away my hit and miss attempts and sometimes nearly 80% casualty rate, despite every care being taken. ? ? ?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

Why not try J.I. seed compost with added vermiculite to aid drainage. Bark can be acidic and many seedlings won't tolerate this. Vermiculite is inert.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Peat BPeat B Posts: 441

Thanks Ladybird, I'll try that. I have found that adding vermiculite 59/50 to any potting mix, tends to turn green very quickly. Any ideas ?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Won't alnick castle shop sell you a sack or two?

My mum orders a pallet  of Levington Pro M3, which is peat based. She uses it for the bedding plants and tomatoes, I use it for everything. As you say, you need a place to store it.

A lot of professional nurseries use it, are there any near you ? How much would you get through in a year?

I s'pose I'd use about 4 bags altogether. Small fry .

I find that perlite goes green but vermiculite  doesn't. That is my experience anyway.

Yo ! Ladybird.  I think I might have made a mistake. Vermiculite is the white stuff, isn't it ? It's the white that goes green for me.

Ha ha no Peat it is the perlite that is the white stuff image

Hi again, L'bird.  White as a Perlite, I'll remember it that way ! 

I have also tried the Vermicelli stuff, light and browny grey stuff, in conjunction with Perlywhite, and none of it makes any difference really. it's either a scam or I am just a bloody lousy gardener, with brown fingers ! I CAN rig up some good water catchers tho !

Do not give up Peat. Germinating seeds is one of the trials and tribulations of gardening. May I ask what kinds of seeds you are hoping to grow as some seeds can be darned tricky to grow.

Here we are again. I'm throwing in a few images of 'Wor Lotty', as we say up in Northumberland. As it is THE growing season, everything looks muy bueno, tres bon, and tickety boo.

The flowers are done by SWMBO, and I do the netting, post pounding, and most of the veg. The lotty is our spiritual re-charger, and we go up in pouring rain, to do jobs that we put off in good weather. Even in thick fog, we LOVE it up there.

I sowed some , I think, parsnip seeds yesterday. They appeared from somewhere, and so, not wanting to be cavalier with any seeds that throw themselves at my mercy, I dug ut a tray and a couple of wee potties, and gently laid them in. NOW, GROW !

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Last edited: 17 June 2016 10:20:23