Planting clematis with canes

Hi everyone,

I've just received my order of several clematis plants and am getting ready to plant them. I was planning to do the same as I've done with honeysuckles which is to unwind them from the cane they came with and then once planted retrain them on to 3 canes (fanned out towards the trellis). However it seems that this might not be the correct thing to do with clematis as most videos/advice seems to be to plant them in the hole with the cane they came with. I just wanted to check which is the best method for clematis?

Thanks for any help,

Lucid image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,515

I do what you do - carefully untie them from the cane and spread out the stems training them against three canes fanned out towards the trellis. image

And planting a good bit deeper than they were in the pot too, of course. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LucidLucid Posts: 328

Thanks Dovefromabove - the rain beat me to being able to plant them so fingers crossed for tomorrow morning.

These are from Taylors Clematis where they are 2 years old. Does this mean that next Spring I don't need to do the severe prune that you're supposed to do with newly planted clematis - mentioned on the following page of the RHS' website:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=97

I've got a mix of groups 1, 2 and 3 if this makes a difference.

Thanks for any help,

Lucid image

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i do what you do too, three canes :)

• If they are from Taylors, they will be good 2 year old plants, as you say, so just prune the Group 3's back to the floor next Spring, and every Spring after.

• LucidLucid Posts: 328

Thanks for the further posts sanjay67 and Richard. On the pruning I had suspected that but wasn't 100% sure. 

Lucid image