Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Autumn plant and bulb catalogue

Is it just me, or are others depressed, annoyed horrified at the Autumn catalogues that are now coming in the post? Its like wishing your life away!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

more concerned at the volume of paper dropping through my letterbox. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Love looking at bulb cataloguesimageThere's always room to put a few more bulbs in the garden or in pots and their flowers give me a boost in the spring.

SW Scotland
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,719

I dont want to think about a Spring boost, yet, want to enjoy summer first!

• sorry if this is a stupid question - how do you get these catalogues?! 

Once you have ordered from companies like Thompson and Morgan, you are on a mailing list, they just keep comming, I imagine if you have never ordered from them, you could go online and request them

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,546

The T&M (and related companies) ones go straight into recycling, but love getting my bulb catalogue.

It's all part of garden planning, that we do all the time - ditch this, move that, need more of those, and I enjoy playing with new colour combinations, especially with tulips. As they flower early you are less tied to other surrounding plants and as they aren't permanent you can be a bit more exuberant in your colour choices. If I remember to order early it gives me more planting time too and makes autumn less fraught. 

I don't think looking forward stops me enjoying the here and now, and of course, it willl be even better next yearimage

Buttercupdays - it has been said that it's this optimism and forward planning that plays a part in gardeners living longer.

SW Scotland

It is just me then.  Perhaps you are all a lot younger than me, but it seems the days, weeks, months fly by. My sons who studied phsycology told me I do not live in the here and now, but would be walking the dogs planning dinner, shopping, goodness knows what else, they were correct.  Someone I knew just died at 44 I am upset, young children, there should have been another 44 years to look forward to.  I have always been annoyed by autumn cataologues arriving so early, you arent going to plant bulbs till at least September, I planted tulips the second week in November as advised by Monty, in pots a lot of them were a retirement present from my work mates.  They have mostly rotted.  There are so many tree roots in my garden, its clay gets very wet in winter, so planting there is difficult, and now being on a pension, I have to be realistic, not keep thinking I want this that and the other.  For several years now I have read report that gardening is good for you physically for obvious reasons, and your mental health.  The catalogues ARE going in the recycling.  I bought (as I usually do) posti plugs of certain plant because it was the cheapest way, but then you have to buy the compost, spend time potting on, and they all take up a huge amount of room, then I go to the supermarkets they have trays of plants for under £3, hanging baskets with about 10-12 plants all ready to go out.  After the wet spring, am finding it extremely difficult to get on top of the weeding.  Last Wednesday my OH, oldest son and I spent 5 hours clearing the bottom of the garden, then 200 plus feet trip to the skip and lifting the barrows in. Then quite a few hours for the next 3 days busy out there.Last year OH removed grout inbetween paving slabs and re-grouted, but the weeds mostly grasses are back.  I feel exactly the same about the shops, back to school clothes (kids havent even broken up for summer yet) and by August, the winter clothes will be there all dull greys,blacks,browns. Yes,nutcutlet course the postman brings "junk" mail now!

Nanny Beach.  I'm in early 70s and it's only my bulb catalogue form a specific small company that I look at. All others are binned. As a 24/7 carer for my husband I like to look forward to splashes of spring colour in pots They revitalise me. Over the ten years that I've been a carer the garden has become permanent planting of shrubs and herbaceous which don't require constant maintenance Leaving me free to potter with pots.

SW Scotland

You are just a babe joyce21, I know how difficult being a carer is, and very well done, for that and being able to garden as well! How big is your garden?  I thought I would be able to do a lot more now I have retired, but I look after my grandchildren sometime, when I was working it was 9 miles away from work, now its nearly 40 miles each way, AND I have a puppy, so I think that makes a big difference to my time. So you have your reasons for wanting to enjoy looking at bulbs I can see that. Me, I married a bloke with Agoraphobia (and multiple other phobias and problems) He said this week about going to Hampton Court, Eden and Helligan, assured me he was fine, so booked the Hotel last night, and he was up all night ill!