Forum home Plants

Hibiscus

Lena NLena N Posts: 189

I have three hibiscus in containers which are now coming into leaf. They haven't flowered the last couple of years and I wondered if I need to feed them. I heard that tomato feed is good for feeding flowering plant, etc. Would this be suitable and if so, how often should I feed them?

Thanks in advance image

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i also have one in a large wooden planter, it's the 'kopper king' folklore has it that it flowers are the size of dinner plates image last year leaves on a one stemmed stick, this year more leaves so will see if it flowers, fingers crossed.

what type have you got planted?

i'll be interested to see replies too

• Lena NLena N Posts: 189

Hi sanjy 

I just went out to check their labels and found two of the most humongous slugs! Bleurgh!! image Also realised I actually have four hibiscus - sugared almond, Turkish delight, mint cream and bleu oiseau! Will be interested to see what they're like when they flower. We're in the process of buying a house and I want to eventually put them in the ground In the new garden, can't wait! image

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i know they are whoppers aren't they, i'm just going out and always find a few massive ones a night. let's hope we get flowers this year!! post a pic if you get any & so will i.

Will do sanjy. 

I think I will try feeding them weekly with tomato feed and just hope for the best image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Yeah, I think we need the proverbial 'decent summer' for hibiscus to flower in this country unless you are lucky enough to have planted them in a local microclimate which suits them.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

I saw some lovely ones in bloom last summer, but they were planted in the ground in someone's front garden. I was really tempted to knock and ask them what is their secret to success!