Forum home Garden design

Every green for front garden

HI

I have 6meters by 50cm patch that I would like to plant everygreen. the patch get sun in the morning. 

I have 2 small kids and work full time, so I wont have time to look after it, therefore I am looking for perennial that don't loose their leaves in the winter . Ideally they would have some kind of colour in the spring

I would like to have Ceanothus and i have rosemary that I would like to plant, 

maybe blue (ceanothus), purple, red and yellow, green (rosemary)..so the question is: what everygreen perennial which produces some colour in the srping do you suggest please?

Many Thanks

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,291

How about a rhododendron or an azalea - lots of lovely coloured flowers to choose from.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,663
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,432

Hi Denise - whereabouts in the country are you? Things like Cistus aren't reliably hardy  up here for instance, so make sure whatever you choose will suit your own conditions.

Are you sure you mean perennials and not shrubs? Perennials die back in winter. With the aspect you have, shrubs which like a bit of shade will do best. Good old Potentillas are very straightforward, and Euonymous will give easy to maintain evergreen cover. If the soil's not alkaline -  Azaleas, Pieris and Skimmia will all do well. They can all be pruned if they eventually get too big, as it's quite a narrow border you have.

You can interplant with some spring bulbs for a bit of extra colour too. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....